Thursday, July 2, 2009

First apointment

So today Teddy Graham and I had our first OB appointment! My mom went with me because Jeremy had to work, and today was nothing too exciting, just paperwork, blood work, and peeing in a cup.

I've been worried about going to the same clinic I used with Gabriel because I wasn't paid much attention to last time around and I also didn't feel like the staff showed very good professionalism most of the time... Since we are using medicaid as our main source of insurance, we have to use the same clinic because it's the only one in the area that will accept medicaid.

So I went in today with some apprehensions, but I was pleasantly surprised! The nurse who will be in charge of my pregnancy this time around, had done her homework and read up on my situation and what happened with Gabriel, she was all set to explain how things were going to work. Since I am high risk I'll be getting my first ultrasound early, actually next Friday on the 10th. I'll be 6wks +3days at that point. The main goal of that ultrasound is to get a baseline measurement for my cervix, and measure the baby to see if we can get an updated due date... the nurse seems to think I might be further along than I think I am... but I think I'm right based on my temperature charting so we will see.

Gabriel was 5wks +6days when I went to the ER with stomach pain and I had my first ultrasound with him, and in that ultrasound we didn't see much but we could see his little heart beating, so I am hoping that next Friday we will get to see Teddy Graham's heart beating for the first time too.

My OB physical is set up for July 24th when I'm around 8wks and then the nurse said that she'll talk to Dr Johnson (The high risk OB Dr) and see if she'll make an exception and start to see me somewhere between 10 and 12 wks. ( she normally doesn't start seeing patients until they are 14wks along) The nurse was VERY nice and seemed like she was willing to bend the rules, and go to bat for me to make sure I'm getting good care so that made me feel soooooo much better!

After the appointment we had to go down to the lab, which was a strange experience... you go down about 4 different hallways, twisting and turning, then you come to the end of the hall where there are about 6 waiting room chairs and a door that looks like it is 3 feet thick with a video camera looking out at you. There is a sign that says have a seat and we'll be right with you. So you sit in the chairs and wait to be called, no bell, no window... you just have to hope that someone is watching the video camera and notices you sitting there... strange.

Well I got 5 vials of blood drawn, and peed in a cup, and 15 minutes and two needle pricks later we were on our way home.

I'm very excited about the ultrasound, I'll post as soon as I can about it and scan in the picture if we get one :)


Google Groups
Subscribe to this blog!
Visit this group

The Adventures of Griffin © All Rights Reserved | Something Baby: Design and Illustration by Emila Yusof